Saturday, November 1, 2014

Will Busch Accomplish
Another Three-Race Sweep?

Kyle Busch races through Turn 4 during the NASCAR Nationwide series
auto race at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas,
(Nov. 1, 2014 - Larry Papke/AP Photo)
In May of 2014 Busch explained why he often races two to three times a weekend.

"I have a reputation that I'd race anything, anywhere, and I just like to race. That's what I grew up doing. I always grew up racing (on) Fridays and Saturdays. Whether it was legends cars, modifieds or late models. I was always racing, sometimes two divisions in a night. It was pretty fun, and I think that's why I just like to race so much. I think that's the reason that I race all three NASCAR divisions in one weekend now, is just to get out there and race as much as I can. I'd rather be out on the track than just sitting in the motor home. I feel like I can learn more by participating in the race than sitting there and watching it on TV. As you get older, sometimes things change in that respect, and your body can't handle that much stuff going on. But I'll keep doing it as long as I feel healthy enough to do it."

That notwithstanding, Busch’s ravenous race appetite also places him in the unique position of having the opportunity to accomplish a three-race weekend sweep. In 2001, Busch completed an unprecedented sweep of three national races in one week, with a victory in the Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. He hoisted a broom in Victory Lane, as he made his third visit there in just four days.

"I've been trying to do this since I got to NASCAR," said Busch at the time "I love Bristol and I love winning. And to do it for the first time ever in NASCAR, to sweep the weekend, man, that's pretty awesome."

Kyle Busch has the only three-race sweep since NASCAR expanded to three national series in 1995.

Friday, Kyle Busch passed German Quiroga during a two-lap shootout in the Camping World Truck race at the Texas Motor Speedway. Then today, Busch, who led 116 of 200 laps, finished 1 1/2 seconds ahead of Joey Logano for the Nationswide Series victory.

Therefore all NASCAR Fans will have their eyes on the "#18 Joe Gibbs M&Ms’ Toyota” to see if Kyle can harvest history again, and complete his second tripleheader sweep.

Busch has eleven NASCAR victories in Texas: seven in Nationwide; three in Truck Series;  and one in the Sprint Cup Series. Hopefully, the NASCAR Star has learned enough in his last two successful Texas races to secure a win tomorrow.

No comments: